Saturday, June 6, 2015

A REAL Buss from Lafayette!


I recently visited Yorktown, Virginia, with the American Friends of Lafayette, an organization dedicated to the memory of the young Frenchman who did so much for America in our War of Independence.

General Lafayette, in case you didn't know, was instrumental in bottling up the British troops of General Cornwallis in Yorktown. After the French fleet arrived to put the plug in that bottle, George Washington and the French general, Rochambeau, arrived.  This ended with the surrender of Cornwallis and over eight thousand British troops: a major victory which effectively ended the American Revolution.






When at Yorktown, I had the distinct pleasure of meeting Lafayette himself (as expertly portrayed by Mark Schneider).

Along with my fellow AFL members, I was lucky enough to have Lafayette as a guide as we hiked around the Yorktown battlefield.














He also came to our banquet, where I had the opportunity to chat with him at length.


This General Lafayette was every bit as charming as the original.  Furthermore, he was kind enough (after I explained that I am the author of A Buss from Lafayette) to give me a buss - a smacking, playful kiss!



3 comments:

  1. Love the pictures :) Thanks for sharing the lovely memories on KidLItBlogHop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment.

    It WAS great fun to get an actual buss from Lafayette!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fun to get a buss from Lafayette! Thanks for sharing at the Kid Lit Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete